Create a Native Plant Garden!
Want to start a native plant garden in your schoolyard? Download A Guide to Native Plant Design (1.18MB).
Created by LREC intern Rachel Fox, this guide includes:
- tips on how to get started,
- instructions for constructing a raised bed,
- garden design templates, and
- lists of native plants with their light and water requirements
School Garden Link
Check out the School Garden Wizard from the U.S. Botanic Garden and the Chicago Botanic Garden! This online tool takes you through the steps of proposing, funding, planning, planting, maintaining, and using your school garden.
Want to develop an outdoor classroom or learning center at your school? Want to promote conservation and community stewardship? Several organizations provide grants to help you out:
- Lowe’s Toolbox for Education Grant Program
(fall cycle opens: August 7, 2017)
- Illinois Schoolyard Habitat Action Grant Program
(deadline: November 30, 2017)
- Wild Ones Seeds for Education Grant Program
(deadline: yearly on October 15)
- Captain Planet Foundation Grant
(two cycles per year; deadlines: January 31 and September 30)
- Home Depot Community Impact Grants
(Applications accepted on an rolling basis)
- Missouri Department of Conservation: Discover Nature Schools Grants
(several different grants)