What is the LREC Teacher Partnership Program?
Our vision is to see every teacher in the St. Louis region using their local community, beginning with their schoolyard and extending beyond, as an effective learning environment.
The mission of the LREC Teacher Partnership Program is to equip teachers to become effective outdoor place-based educators; using outdoor spaces to enhance learning, develop schoolyard native plant habitats and engage with their community. Program participants will accomplish this as they:
- develop outdoor teaching and learning skills.
- integrate outdoor learning experiences into units of study.
- make effective educational use of the schoolyard and surrounding community.
- participate in a school/community place-based education team.
- become an active participant in a dynamic community of outdoor place-based educators.
The Teacher Partnership Program involves three years of training in specific outdoor teaching strategies that will be implemented at the school. Training consists of three one-year programs, each with a summer workshop of the same name and school-year components:
- Effective Outdoor Learning (required of all new teacher partners)
- Sustainable Schoolyards (schoolyard habitat development)
- Place-based Learning (interdisciplinary projects that support the ecological integrity of the school and community)
Each training year will include the following components:
- Summer workshop (3 or 5 days)
- School-year components:
- Relevant lessons
- LREC visits
- Professional development sessions
- Share your knowledge
- Build your school team
- Teacher recognition
New teachers will be recruited annually to enter the partnership program. In order to establish a new LREC Teacher Partnership, teachers are required to attend our Effective Outdoor Learning workshop to begin the year-long Effective Outdoor Learning training program. See workshop information.
After participating in the Effective Outdoor Learning training program in their first year with LREC, returning teachers may participate in the Sustainable Schoolyards training program or the Place-based Learning training program. Teachers who have previously completed Sustainable Schoolyards may participate in Sustainable Schoolyards 2. See workshop information.
Teachers who complete a partnership program will remain in the LREC network with access to LREC resources.